Friday, September 5, 2014

Education Amidst Struggles and Challenges: The Plight of Mariway


“Nooooooo!!! Please don’t do it!!! Help!!! Help!!! Help!!!” I hurriedly run from the culprit, fighting against his will but he was so strong, pushing me down and striking my abdomen with his hard-muscled fist. “No!!! Get away from me,” but he managed to pull down my underwear and harass me all the way. “I beg you, please don’t do it!!!” The criminal did it swiftly and managed to get what he wanted. I was petrified for a moment, thinking of what can I do with the situation.
            I went home puzzled that my mother got bothered. “What happened to you Mariway?,” she asked. “Nothing mother,” was all I could say. “Speak up Mariway, I know you’re not okay.” “Mama, someone raped me! Huhuhu. I was washing our clothes in the river when the culprit harassed me. Mama, I was raped! And I don’t know what to do… Huhuhu…” “Who’s that criminal?!! Tell me!!!” I just can’t answer her.
            Days passed and I remained passive, not wanting to eat food and even go out from our house. My mother got anxious that she asked me what do I want to do. For a couple of months, only one thought comes to my mind. It was the day of my graduation in high school.
Yipee! Yehey! Yipee! Yehey! Yipee! Yehey! I am Mariway Limunsudan, the Class Valedictorian of Sitio Limunsudan National High School. At long last, I am done with my high school education. I can now pursue my dream of getting a degree in a prestigious university that is far from this hinterland. Trees, falls, birds, cattle, and fellow Higaonons can really be boring. I’m tired of this humdrum experience. I want to live in a new environment, meet other people and explore the world.” Then I sincerely requested my mother, “Mother Dear, please allow me to enrol college education. I want to fulfil my ambition of getting a degree for the betterment of our family. I know that what we are earning is just enough for our survival but please, I beg you. It is the only way that I could think of so I could forget that tragic moment in this place. Please mother.” With these words, my mother got into deep thinking and eventually said, “Okay, Mariway, I’ll do my best to send you to college. Please take good care of yourself and you will have my full support. We still have some carabaos, and we can sell some of those for your schooling.” “Thank God! My mother agreed!”
Welcome to Mindanao State University Main Campus, the Melting Pot of the South! So this is MSU! The climate is cold and the environment is refreshing because lush trees and beautiful flowers abound in the area. Wow! I feel good about it. Looking further, I noticed high rise buildings, Mass Rapid Transit (MRT), sophisticated facilities and yes different people, some of whom are wearing veils. Hmmm… this is really exciting.
            Classes have started and I have gained friends and acquaintances, one of whom is tall, dark and hmmmm handsome. Oh no, he must be the man of my dreams. One day, he started giving me a letter, a rose, a candy and a stuff toy. We became close friends and he courted me. Later did I realize that he is a Muslim. He touched me and I felt hesitant because of what had happened to me. And so he asked, “Are you okay Mariway?” I just nodded. There were days when he wanted to kiss me but I just moved away.
Then one day, I feel cold and feverish with my head aching. I feel like nauseating and I don’t like to eat. “Oh God, what is this? I find it strange because this is the first time that I become so weak and sickly. Please keep me safe.” My roommates brought me to the University Infirmary for a medical check up. One of the questions of the doctor was “When was the last time you had your menstruation?” I paused for a moment and recalled that it was two months ago. “Oh no, this could not be.” Finally, the doctor advised me to undergo pregnancy test and afterwards, it was found out that I’m 2 months pregnant. I was petrified by then, thinking of what I am supposed to do with the situation..
            “Babe, I have something to tell you!” “What about it Babe?,” he answered. I became silent for a moment and eventually said, “I am 2 months pregnant!” “What?” Ahhhh!!! he was shocked. “But we never had sex!? What happened? You must have some other guy that’s why you didn’t want me to kiss you.” “Babe let me explain.” I started sobbing. “Please listen. I was raped in our community, just 2 months ago before I enrolled here.” “Where is he now?” forming his hard-muscled fist. “He is still in our place. I must go home now and confess to my mother. Please come with me.”
            As we approached our home, my mother was filled with joy. “Mariway, welcome back home! Who’s with you. Hmmm. Is he your boyfriend?” “Yes mother and he is a Muslim.” “Mariway, we need to talk,”my mother grabbed my arms and we headed towards the kitchen.” “Of all the people in the world, why a Muslim?” “Mother, he is deeply in love with me and he wants to marry me.” “No Mariway, that’s against our culture. You better stay here at home and we’ll send him back to MSU.
            Days passed and I remained unmotivated, weak and puzzled. Every time Sarip my boyfriend calls me over the phone, I kept on crying – wanting to get back to MSU and have my degree completed. “Hello Sarip, I miss you. I want to continue my studies.”
Then, I prepared a rope to end my life. Slowly, I climb through the chair and just about I kicked away the chair, my step father surfaced! “Mariway! Why are you doing that? Why do you want to end your life? Are you crazy?” I tried to step back but I was a bit weak. Then my mother arrived and shouted, “What is happening here?” Speak it out. “Mother, I’m so sorry but it’s my stepfather who raped me! That bastard who took advantage of my youth! How can I tell you directly about it, when all I have is fear? Fear of being ridiculed, fear of being rejected by no less than my mother and fear for the future of my child. Do I still deserve to live on, when all I think now is to end my life. I don’t deserve to continue existing will all these sufferings. Uhuhuhuhuhu. I want to die.”
            “Your stepfather? How in the world can he do it to you? I loved him but what did he do? Oh Lord, what in the world is this?” Then my mother showing her unconditional love cuddled me in her loving arms, embracing me so tightly and slowly pacified me. “Mariway, do not give up! You have a life to live on and you have a baby to raise! Don’t be afraid of the criticisms of the people around you. They don’t matter. What matters is our future.”
            Months passed and it was time for the birth of my baby. Thank God for a healthy baby. He will serve as my inspiration to continue living and even pursue my dreams.
            A year after, I went back to MSU with all excitement. That time, I became stronger, fiercer and braver. I focused my attention to my studies and the future of my baby. “God is so good that He never left me specially during those times when I needed guidance. To everyone in this hall who seemed to be hopeless, just believe that everything will be well. Hold on to your dreams because one day, it will be made real. Thank you so much Mindanao State University for accommodating poor but deserving students like me. Without you, we can hardly make our dreams come true. We take part in your vision as a world class institution in 2020. Thank you also Sarip, we will have our time soon.”
            “I am Mariway Limunsudan, a BSBA major in Social Entrepreneuship graduate. To God be the glory!”


Do you Like this story..?

Get Free Email Updates Daily!

Follow us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment