Friday, September 5, 2014

Every Struggle is an Opportunity towards Success: The Resiliency of a Yolanda Survivor in MSU


“Mama!!! Papa!!! Michelle!!! John Cris!!! Help me get out of here!!! I’m trapped, I can hardly move. Please shed some light!!!” “Mama, Papa,” I screamed out loud but I could not hear any reply except for the wrath of the strong typhoon”… Strange sounds from the window kept bothering me. “Mama, I’m scared!!! Huhuhuhu (sobbing). “Oh Lord, please keep us safe.” Bang, bang, bang!!! Strong winds have crashed our humble abode. Thunder and lightning are like enraged dinosaurs, with sounds so disturbing and life threatening. “Oh my God, forgive me for all my sins. If I die any time now, please cuddle me in your loving arms. I offer to you my Mama, Papa, brother and sister.” Huhuhuhu. I slowly opened my eyes, trying to recognize things. “Our Sovereign God, thank you for keeping me alive. I pray that my parents and siblings are equally alright.” Then, with all my might, I looked for my loved ones from where I stand, combating the pain in my whole body. As I explored our wretched home, I saw someone lying on the floor. “Michelle? Is that you?,” I whispered. But there was no reply. “Hope she is just into a deep slumber.” So, I moved closer and reached out. “Michelle, wake up, we need to find John Cris, Mama and Papa.” But there were no signs of her consciousness. “Michelle!!! Oh my God, my sister has left me.” Huhuhu. As I stepped further, I saw my mother embracing my younger brother, both of whom are…….dead… “Huhuhu, Mama, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to protect you. If only I am stronger than the typhoon, I could have saved you both. Huhuhu.” A couple of meters away is a sight of my father, breathing in and breathing out uneasily. “Father, please hold on! Help, we need help! My father is dying!” I tried helping out my Father from the trap but I was so weak. Then, before my father’s one last breath, he uttered, “Yolanda, pursue your dreams and never give up. God will be with you.”  “Yes Papa,” was all I could say. Huhuhuhu… “Oh God, please help me deal with these challenges. I cannot do it alone. Huhuhuhu.”
Then, someone said, “Landa, Landa, Landa, wake up!!! It’s already 8:00 o’clock in the morning. Hurry, today is the last day of enrolment. Get yourself fixed and we’ll catch up.” I paused for a moment and reminisce the days when everyone in the family shared happiness – enjoying every bit of a second. “Now, I am all alone. What is left in me is a set of memories – of struggles, sacrifices and solitude. “Landa, there you go again,” my roommate interrupted. “Don’t worry, everything happens for a reason.
We were then ready for enrolment. Like a thousand hopefuls to get enrolled in a prestigious university, I was worried if I will be admitted in the department I love to belong, specially so that it is the last day of enrolment.
“Mindanao State University Main Campus gladly welcomes Freshmen, Transferees and Old students!” Wow! I love that warm welcome message reflected on the tarpaulin. “I am getting more excited.” Then, we went to the College of Business Education because I wanted to take up BS Accountancy. As soon as we reached the door of the department, “ADMISSION CLOSED” signage was already posted. I tried requesting the enrolment officer but to no avail. We then proceeded to other colleges with the same signage that ADMISSION IS ALREADY CLOSED. Huhuhuhu, how can I get a college degree if all colleges no longer admit freshmen. The day was about to end and I felt hopeless. Then I remembered what my loving father told me. “Pursue your dreams and never give up. God is with you!” My hope is revived and I made my last attempt to the College of Social Affairs. I took a glance at the Department of Society Management with the same note that ADMISSION IS CLOSED. But it never discouraged me to try. As I entered the department, one of the faculty welcomed me by saying, “Yes, what can we do for you?”  “Sir, I would like to enrol in your department. I am Yolanda Dimatarug from Samar and I dreamed of getting a college degree so I could realize the aspirations of my family. I am the sole typhoon survivor from our clan and I just would love to pursue my dreams no matter what. I just arrived yesterday and hoped that even in this very last day of enrolment, I would be given a chance to enrol. I searched almost all of the courses but ADMISSION CLOSED signage hindered me from pushing on. I’m giving my last try this afternoon so I could begin my college education.” The faculty closely listened to me and eventually said, “Welcome to the Department. You will now be taking Bachelor of Science in Society Management. I hope that you will do well in your academics and be able to graduate in due time!” “Thank you so much Sir! You are God’s instrument for me not to give up on my dreams. There are indeed kind hearted people on earth! Thank you, thank you.”
Because it was the last day of enrolment, I was also falling in line with a group of old students trying to pay for the tuition fees. The Macarambon Hall was still crowded, each student waiting for his turn. “Huh, enrolment has always been exhausting,” one student said. “I’m still underloaded,” the other student said.
The challenges of being an MSUan do not end up in enrolment because there are many other unimaginable circumstances that happen.
Boom! Bang! Bang! Bang! “Oh my God, what is it?” I slowly moved from my bed and immediately closed the window. Bang! Bang! Bang! The firing of guns continued, as if it was targeted to me. “Oh my God, I should not be hit. I’m not prepared to die. I still have mission to accomplish.” Bang! Bang! Bang! “Ate Shane!,” I shouted but she was deeply asleep. Bang! Bang! Bang! I hurriedly ran out from my room and asked for protection from the management. “Yolanda, it’s a manifestation that the Ramadhan Season has commenced,” she explained and I sighed. “Huh, I really thought there’s an encounter between the rebels and the military. Thanks Ate Shane, at least now I learned one of your traditions. “Thank God, I am safe.”
One night, while I was on my way back to Ararat Cottage, someone attacked me and forcefully insisted, “Give me your phone!” “Ha?” I exclaimed. “Oh no! Please don’t get this.” The culprit immediately striked my left shoulder with a hard muscled fist and a weapon on it. I was petrified for a moment because blood flew from my shoulder. And then I begged, “Oh no, please give it back to me!” I thought he would not even think of snatching my Nokia 3310, a phone gone obsolete, but he had escaped with it!  I tried chasing him but to no avail. I reported the incident to the landlord and they tried to search the thief but couldn’t find him.
These are just some of the many unimaginable happenings in the campus. Every now and then, a boy killed, a girl raped, a student wounded, and a lot more. Oh no, these occurrences are life threatening, mind boggling and emotionally daunting.
Nevertheless, I still hold on to my dreams in this world class university. I am not easily discouraged. Despite these struggles, is a glimmer of hope that everything will be well. After all, I am Yolanda Dimatarug, a survivor from one of the world’s strongest typhoons. Now I understand how it has made me stronger in facing challenges in life. It was indeed one of God’s purpose to let me survive that fateful night when Haiyan typhoon hit our place.
            Ladies and gentlemen, the candidates for graduation from the College of Social Affairs! Bachelor of Science in Society Management, Yolanda Dimatarug, Magna Cum Laude! Thank God!!! After all the struggles, here I am receiving a great honor. Papa, Mama, Michelle and John Cris, this is all for you. Wherever you are now, I know that you are also happy with me. Thank you so much. And to everyone in this all, have the courage to face life’s difficulties because one way or another, it will help you become more resilient in the tests of time. Indeed, every struggle, heartache and disappointment has a seed of an equivalent or greater benefit.

The journey doesn’t end during our graduation and let it be that we join our hands in helping our beloved Mindanao State University realize her vision as a world class institution in 2020. Thank you everyone. God bless J
Do you Like this story..?

Get Free Email Updates Daily!

Follow us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment